Collection of Kapamilya news/videos from the Philippine Star
Abante-tonite, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Journal Online
Pilipino Star, The Freeman, Sun-Star Daily, and all solid Kapamilya blogs.
All videos and photos used here are produced and copyright by their respective owners.
Posting of videos and photos is for blogging purposes only. Read disclaimer below.
Would you like to see your PHOTOS with ABS-CBN stars posted here?
Send them in: topratingblogs(at)gmail (dot) com.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Pinay in Canadian Idol invades local recording scene

IN 2006, new recording artist Martha Joy joined the Canadian Idol and placed eighth in the competition. Pilita Corrales met her during a show in Canada and endorsed Martha Joy to Viva Records. Last Wednesday, her self-titled album was launched at Tangerine Mediterranean partly owned by Pilita in Greenhills where she wowed the audience with her exceptional singing voice. In her opening number, "Power of Love," she reached the high notes without effort. It was followed by an Abba number and three cuts from her album which contains original Tagalog songs.

Classically trained, Martha was born in Toronto, Canada to a Pinay mother and a Portuguese father.

She is an only child who mesmerized the audience at her first solo concert in November 2007 by rendering 22 powerhouse songs at the Toronto Centre for the Arts. She was only 11 when she wowed the 50 or so judges at the September 2003 Best New Talent Awards in L.A. at the Century Plaza Hotel. She won in two categories: Best Contemporary Pop singer and Best Child Broadway performer.

Her debut album was produced by Christian de Walden of Hollywood, the producer responsible for creating hits for Sarah Geronimo, Claire dela Fuente and Rachelle Ann Go. Her first single release is "Dumating Ka" which was composed by Jimmy Borja.

The all-new originals line-up is mostly about love, a feeling which according to Martha she has yet to experience. “The only kind of love I know is the love for my mother. She is a super mom, truly more than a mother but a friend. As for having a boyfriend, wala po talaga. And it doesn’t bother me at all. I am young and I am more focused to make it here in the Philippines. You know, when I first heard "Duma-ting Ka" being played on the radio, I almost screamed for joy. I was in the car on our way to the presscon venue and I was shocked. Parang hindi ako makapaniwalang boses ko ang aking naririnig.”

She did not find difficulty learning the Pilipino language. “Since I arrived here five months ago, I did nothing but watch Tagalog films. I can understand people when they speak in their dialect pero nahihiya akong magsalita. I love the Philippines and I don't mind staying here indefinitely. I like the people who are also as friendly as the Canadians and I adore the weather. It could be boring in Canada specially when it is snowing heavily. “

She has met the Heartthrobs headed by Piolo Pascual when they performed in Canada and found him very handsome and a real gentleman.

Will she try the movies, too? “If the opportunity arises, why not? Whatever Viva management decides, I will abide by it. For the time being, I want to excel in my singing and pray that my album will reach the platinum mark.”

Some choice cuts in the album include: "The Right Moment," "Only My Heart," "Broken," "Holding on to a Dream," "Do You Think of Me" and "Pagka't Mahal Kita."

[via]

Labels:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< BACK to HOMEPAGE for MORE STORIES